There’s nothing more wonderful than cold ice cream on a hot summer day. Try this ice cream recipe for the perfect summer treat!
- 4 Egg yolks
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ Vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 ½ cups 35% heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- 2 cups Strawberries, hulled and quartered
- ¼ cup Sugar
- In a bowl or the upper part of a double boiler, off the heat, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until it lightens. Whisk in the milk, cream and vanilla pod scrapings.
- Cook in the double boiler, stirring with a wooden spoon, for about 15 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of the spoon. Cover and chill the custard in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours.
- While the base mixture cools, combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook 5 minutes or until fruit is soft and juice is syrupy. Chill until ready to process ice cream.
- If you work with an ice cream machine, process the mixture according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pour in batches alternating with the strawberry mixture into a shallow dish. Re freeze for an hour or longer depending on desired firmness.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture, alternating with the strawberry mixture into a large shallow dish and freeze for 2 hours. Stir and freeze again for 1 hour or until desired firmness is reached.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Cooling Time 4 hours
Freezing Time 1 hour
Makes 1 litre