Smoked Pork Ribs with Coleslaw
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup (240ml) whiskey
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
- Pinch of hickory wood chips
- 4.5lb (2kg) pork ribs
- ½ white cabbage (400g), trimmed and finely shredded
- ½ green apple (100g), cored and julienned
- 2 green onions, finely julienned
- ¼ cup (60g) smoked aioli (see “Smoked Roasted Garlic Aioli” recipe)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F/160°C.
- For the marinade, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add whiskey and bring to a boil. Add smoked paprika, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and diced tomatoes and continue to cook for 15–20 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Pulse in a blender until smooth.
- Place ribs on a baking tray, brush with half of the marinade, cover with foil and cook for 1 hour or until tender.
- Put remaining marinade into a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Add hickory wood chips to the burn chamber of the Breville Smoking Gun. Place hose under the plastic wrap with the opening sitting above the marinade. Turn smoking gun on to HIGH SPEED and ignite wood chips. Switch to LOW SPEED and smoke for a few seconds until the bowl is filled with a dense smoke. Remove hose and reseal plastic wrap. Let infuse for 3 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Remove foil from ribs and brown ribs in the oven for a further 30 minutes, brushing regularly with marinade.
- For a smokier flavor, place ribs brushed with marinade in a baking tray and cover with foil and smoke again before serving.
- For the coleslaw, combine all ingredients except sesame seeds in a bowl and season. Garnish with black sesame seeds and serve with the ribs.