Slow cooked ground meat filling gives the dish a superior texture and a more intense flavour.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- One yellow onion, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground protein (beef, chicken, turkey or pork will do)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies, drained (mild)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 2 cups salsa
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- Using a cast iron pot, a stove-top slow cooker insert or a frying pan heat to medium temperature and add the olive oil. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add ground meat and increase heat to MED HIGH. Brown, breaking into smaller pieces as it cooks, for another 4 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Add minced garlic and cook another minute.
- Remove grease if desired. Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- If using a slow cooker: Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
- If using a cast iron pot: Cover and bake at 350°F for 1.5 hours
- Assemble tacos to your liking and enjoy!
We’re your TACO headquarters and have everything you need to make your TACO Tuesday like a vacation to Mexico!