Seasonal Veggie Pot Pie
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil, for the pan
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 cups seasonal veggies, chopped (zucchini, potatoes, carrots, beans, leeks, peppers etc)
- 2.5 cups broth of your choice
- ¼ cup flour or cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs such as chives, parsley or rosemary
- 1 tsp each Salt & Pepper
- Store bought Pastry, 2 pieces rolled
- 1 egg yolk
- Heat the oven to 400˚F
- Line a pie dish with rolled out pastry. Prick the base several times and trim the overhanging edges with kitchen shears or knife. Line the pastry with parchment paper, fill with dried beans or pie weights. Place in the oven and “blind bake” for 10 minutes. Remove paper and pie weight. This ensures a crispier bottom with stability. Allow to cool.
- Heat olive oil in a 3- to 4-quart Dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook onion and garlic until translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add hard veggies such as potatoes and carrots first, season well with salt and pepper, and stir to coat. Add softer veggies such as peppers, beans and zucchini and cook until they have reduced in size about 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over cooked vegetables, stir to coat, and cook 2 minutes. Carefully add broth, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add herbs, stir to coat. Allow to cool.
- Turn cooled filling into the prepared dish. Place rolled puff pastry over filling, trim to fit, pinch the edges to seal, pierce a few small holes in the pastry to allow steam to escape during cooking.
- Make the egg wash: whisk egg together with 2 teaspoons water and brush over top of pie.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown approximately 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.