Ann uses rhubarb as the key ingredient in this simple and versatile dessert that is delicious warm from the pan or cold for next day’s breakfast.
- 2 lbs rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces (approx. 6 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup quick cook oats
- 1 ½ cups dark brown sugar
- ¾ cups unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- ½ tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- Combine cut rhubarb, white sugar, flour, vanilla and orange zest in large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use pastry blender or two knives to combine flour, oats, brown sugar, butter and salt into a crumble consistency.
- Pour rhubarb mixture into 9 inch x 11 inch baking pan and top evenly with the crumble mixture.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes until the filling starts to bubble and the top is golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream.