Pumpkin-Vegetable Curry with Chestnuts & Chorizo
Great for a group after a fall hike or outdoor activity.
Tastes best with basmati rice.
- 800 g / 1 3/4 lb. Hokkaido or cheese pumpkin
- 400 g / 14 oz. medium sized, waxy potatoes
- 400 g / 14 oz. parsnips
- 8 Brussels sprouts
- 200 g / 7 oz. chorizo
- 2 onions
- 1 piece of ginger (around 20 g / 3/4 oz.)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 red chili peppers
- 3 tbsp. clarified butter
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tbsp. garam masala (Indian spice mixture)
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- 200 ml / 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp. vegetable stock
- 200 ml / 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp. coconut milk
- 150 g / 1 cup chestnuts, pre-cooked
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- Pare the pumpkin and cut it in half. Remove pulp and seeds. Cut into 2-3 cm / 1 inch chunks. Peel potatoes and parsnips and cut into similar-sized pieces. Wash Brussels sprouts and cut in half. Remove skin from chorizo and cut into thick slices.
- Peel onion, ginger and garlic and chop finely. Cut chili peppers into thin rings. Heat clarified butter in pumpkin cocotte. Fry onion, ginger, garlic and chili peppers on medium heat for around 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add potatoes and parsnips and fry for another 3 minutes. Stir in turmeric and garam masala. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and coconut milk; cover and bring to a boil, then simmer gently on low heat for around 20 minutes, until the potatoes are almost tender. Mix in pumpkin, Brussels sprouts, chestnuts and chorizo and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season the curry with salt, pepper and 1-2 tbsp. lime juice. Pick the cilantro leaves from the stems; chop finely and stir in. Serve the curry in bowls or soup plates, garnished with lime wedges if desired. Tastes best with basmati rice.
Serves: 4 – 6
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes