Here’s a Canadian recipe traditionally made at Christmas in Kristin’s house. Passed down from a previous generation this is a tried and true recipe that never fails. The Nanaimo bar is a bar dessert which requires no baking and is named after the west coast city of Nanaimo, British Columbia. Nanaimo bars consists of a crumb layer topped by a layer of custard flavoured butter icing which is covered with melted chocolate icing. They are chilled and cut into squares.
Ingredients No-bake Nanaimo Bars
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 5 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp. cocoa
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups graham crumbs
- 1 cup coconut, unsweetened, shredded
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
Ingredients Butter Custard Icing
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. vanilla custard powder
Ingredients Chocolate Top
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate squares
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Place butter, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and egg into the top pot of a double boiler or a heat resistant glass bowl.
- Put pot or bowl above a pot of boiling water that remains simmering at a low heat during this process.
- Stir mixture until butter has melted and is the consistency of pudding.
- Mix graham crumbs, coconut and walnuts and add to the chocolate mixture.
- Pack into a 9×9 parchment paper-lined pan. And allow to cool.
- Prepare icing: Using a mixer cream the butter.
- Combine custard powder with milk and add to the butter. Mix in the icing sugar.
- Spread evenly over the cookie base
- Make chocolate topping: Melt chocolate and butter together and pour and spread evenly over the icing. Refrigerate and serve!
Makes: 1 9 x 9 dish