What is a Neapolitan Pizza?
Neapolitan Pizza is a style of pizza made with tomato sauce and mozzarella. The sauce must be made with either San Marzano or Roma tomatoes. The hand-kneaded pizza dough includes type 0 or 00 wheat flour, brewer’s yeast, salt and water. After the dough rises it is shaped by hand and not with a rolling pin then baked for less than two minutes in a wood fire oven. When cooked, it should be soft, elastic, tender and fragrant with black specks around the crust.
Pizza Margherita is a typical Neapolitan pizza with fresh tomatoes (red), mozzarella cheese (white) and basil (green) – these three colours are the colours of the Italian flag.
- 1 tablespoon semolina flour
- 1 pound home-made or store-bought pizza dough at room temperature
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup drained canned San Marzano tomatoes, hand-crushed
- 1/2 cup sweet basil leaves, washed
- 1/2 cup aged provolone cheese (3.25 ounces)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cut in 1/4-inch thick slices
- Maldon sea salt
- Preheat the Smart Oven to 450F using the “fresh pizza” function (no convection).
- Distribute the semolina flour in the Breville pizza pan accessory. On a clean work surface, hand-stretch the dough into a 12-inch circle and place in the pan. Drizzle the surface of the dough with the olive oil.
- Spread the crushed tomatoes on top of the dough, followed by the basil, then the provolone and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake in the Smart Oven for 14 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown. Remove from the oven, finish with the sea salt and serve immediately.
Other Pizza Recipes!
Make pizza, serve over spiralized zucchini noodles, hot pasta, chicken or fish.
Ciao! Shop Local – We’re here to help with all your culinary requirements!