When life gives you stale bread, make pudding!
Bread pudding is baked dessert that can be served hot or cold and flavored in a multitude of ways. The basics require ingredients similar to custard: milk or cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and spices. Just tear up your bread pieces, pour over your flavor mixture, bake, and you’re done.
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 5 oz day-old bread with crust on, torn into pieces
- ½ cup coconut, shaved
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 2½-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together butter, milk, cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in bread, coconut and chocolate. The mixture will be quite loose.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden and custard is somewhat set. Serve warm.