Classic French Crêpes with Lemon & Sugar
Ingredients – Basic Crêpe:
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 eggs slightly whisked
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- warm water, to thin out batter
- vegetable oil for brushing the pan (unless it is a non-stick pan)
Ingredients – Topping:
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Icing sugar or granulated sugar for garnish
- Place the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the center with your fingers. Place the eggs, milk, sugar and salt into the well. Using a whisk, gradually draw the flour into the center, trying to prevent any lumps from forming. Incorporate until smooth.
- Add the melted butter to the batter, and whisk well to combine and smooth-out the batter. At this point, there should be no lumps and it should be a slightly thick batter (think pancake batter – you will thin it out below).
- Cover the mixture with saran wrap and set-aside on your counter for 1 – 2 hours, to allow the mixture to rest.
- Meanwhile, zest & juice your lemon and set-aside.
- When the batter is ready, prepare your station by placing your bowl of batter, your spatula, icing wand, oil & pastry brush, and clean plate beside your stove. You want everything handy.
- Thin out your crêpe batter by adding warm water, bit by bit. You want your batter to be the consistency of a light cream, so it should just coat the back of a spoon, but no thicker.
- Begin by heating your pan over medium-high heat (around setting 8). Grease the pan with vegetable oil, if using.
- Using a measuring cup, pour about 1/3 cup of batter into your hot pan and immediately tip the pan around in all directions to cover the bottom of the pan. If you have too much batter, pour it off – you want the crêpes to be paper-thin. Using your spatula/icing wand, gently skim the surface of the crêpe to even out the batter.
- When the outside edges are brown (~ 2 minutes), flip the crêpe GENTLY and cook on the other side for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Remove the crêpe from the pan and immediately top with a sprinkle of sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice (if you want the extra tang). Fold the crêpe or roll it out. Serve and devour immediately.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Don’t forget to grease the pan between each crêpe.
Prep time: 10 minutes plus 1-2 hours rest time
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 24 crepes