Make pizza, serve over spiralized zucchini noodles, hot pasta, chicken or fish.
- 2 1/2 lbs ripe red tomatoes (plum is best), cored and quartered
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 300ºF (165ºC).
- Lightly grease a shallow baking dish. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until soft and slightly golden, about 1 1/2 hours.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil.
Add onion; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes, 1 cup water and Italian seasoning.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Place Cuisipro Food Mill over a large bowl and pass sauce through the mill in batches. Discard seeds and skin. Reheat briefly before serving over zucchini noodles, hot pasta, chicken or fish.
- No time to make preserves? Wash and place plum tomatoes in freezer bags for use later in sauces and soups all winter long. When you are ready to use your frozen tomatoes simply pour boiling water over the frozen tomatoes and the skins will easily come off. Next core and remove seeds either by hand or using a food mill. Purée and enjoy the taste of summer.
- A customer gave us this great tip worth passing along: Tomato skins are full of nutrients. Instead of discarding organic tomato skins lay them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and dry them in the oven at 200˚F for 2-3 hours. Take the desiccated skins and process them into a fine powder using a coffee grinder, food processor or blender. This is great for intense flavour in soups and stews.