Madeleines are shell-shaped cakes made using a Madeleine mold available from Trudeau. The flavour is similar to, but lighter than sponge cake and Madeleines are best eaten on the day of making!
- 90 g Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 90 g Sugar (Icing sugar or very fine sugar)
- Pinch Salt
- 1 Package Vanilla sugar
- 90 g Flour
- Grind of ½ Lemon and ½ Orange
- 1 oz Rum
- Melt butter over low heat, take of the burner and let cool.
- Mix eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla sugar until very creamy.
- Fold flour, lemon and orange grind and rum into the mix.
- Slowly add the cool butter.
- As required grease the pan and fill the dough into the forms.
- Preheat oven to 200º C
- Place form in the middle of the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Place Madeleines on cooling rack and let cool.
- Decorate with a dusting of icing sugar or dip half the Madeleine into semi sweet chocolate glaze.